Wednesday, February 20, 2013

N'Awlins

As you may recall, one of the items on my short list this year is to do something different each month. It doesn't have to be anything huge, but perhaps listen to a new band, try a new restaurant or in this case, travel to a new state. 

I was sent to Louisiana for a recruiting effort at LSU in Baton Rouge. I was pretty stoked because I had never been to Louisiana before, and i knew it was going to be warm (when temps were in the teens in St. Louis) and I would finish out the trip in New Orleans with one of my good friends, Brian! 
My trip to Baton Rouge was so pleasant and everything went very smoothly. I loved the people (southern people are just so damn NICE!) and the food was excellent. I stopped for some sushi at a place called The Drunken Fish on my way to LSU. I got a California roll, and a shrimp tempura roll - both were amazing as was the salad with a creamy ginger dressing. De-lish!  
For dinner, a coworker and I went to an amazing seafood restaurant called Parrain's where I ordered the special, Mahi-Mahi with fried oysters on top and a side of asparagus. This was honestly one of the best meals I've ever eaten! I have never been a fan of oysters but told myself I was going to like them when I was in Louisiana...and I did! 

Drunken Fish sushi
After my work duties were complete, I headed to New Orleans to meet my friend Brian. Our plan was to not have a plan, but rather walk around the French Quarter and do what we wanted to do. I have to say, walking around a city and people watching is one of my all-time favorite things in the world to do. I hate having a schedule and I hate being rushed. Brian and I had a very relaxing stroll around the streets, stopping in places to try a drink (or two). We even stopped for oysters and seafood cheesecake (sounds gross, but it's really good). I loved this city - we were there on a Monday night and it was so alive with people and activity (it helped the Superbowl was the coming weekend, and Mardi Gras is right around the corner). Below are some pics from the night: 

St. Louis representing in NOLA!

Pat O'Brien's Hurricanes


Oysters at Crescent City Brewery - I can't believe I ate these suckers.

I head back to Louisiana in a week for work again, and will once again spend a couple days in NOLA...I can't wait! 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment