Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy Spring!

This week was the official beginning of Spring! I love this time of year, when the flowers begin to bloom and I can walk my dog in comfort instead of wearing 5 layers of clothes. I have to say that we've been very lucky here in the midwest - the winter was really mild this year. I believe it snowed twice, so I have been one happy girl. Since it's been in the 70-80's the past few weeks our tulips and dafodils have already started blooming, trees are flowering and just overall everything looks lovely.
Our peonies (pic taken last year) 


I haven't written in a while so I feel like I need to report on some things I'm really loving right now.

1. Kale chips! 

Kale is honest to God my new obsession. Not only is it wonderful for you but it can be made so many ways and is super tasty! Kale chips taste like potato chips (you don't believe me, do you?? Try them for yourself!)
Here's how you make them:
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
line a baking pan with either parchment paper or foil (I also use cooking spray so the leaves don't stick)
wash the kale and tear off the leaves, omitting the stems, into bite-size pieces and lay it in the pan
drizzle olive oil over the leaves
sprinkle a little sea salt
bake the leaves for 20 minutes

so easy, right?? They are best when you can eat them right out of the oven because they are crispy but they're also good later. I like to put them in omelettes, or on a salad.
Kale Chips - before baking

2. Instagram

I read about this app on another blog and downloaded it on my phone. You can do a lot of cool effects with this app. Below is a pic of my lazy cat, photo edited with instagram:

3. My Michael Kors purse.

It took me a hot minute to commit to this purse. A bit of history: I've carried around the same black Coach purse since 2006, I'm not even joking. As you can imagine, it was evident the purse had seen better days so I knew the time was quickly approaching that I would have to say goodbye and select a new arm companion that would hopefully last as long. My friend and I went to the mall and within 10 minutes of my time in Macy's I had spotted a brown MK satchel that I loved. I had really wanted the Marc Jacobs hilier hobo but couldn't pull the financial trigger so I decided on something less expensive - the $ breakdown: The MK purse retailed for $358 (I think), it was on sale for $299, I applied for a credit card and got 20% off - I might be getting the numbers wrong but bottom line is I paid like $212 for it. Not too bad.  Of course I still want the MJ bag... we'll see what happens there because I don't want to just have one purse for the next 6 years.

There are some other things I'm loving but this post is going to get really long so I will save those for later.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend! Hard to believe it's Sunday already - why do weekends go so fast?!

No comments:

Post a Comment